Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

DIY Reversible Burlap Banner

Pin It
The other day I was thinking about some of the craft supplies that are sadly sitting in my craft room waiting to be used up.
While I was rocking my baby for his nap that day I decided I wanted to use up some of those supplies and try my hand at making a burlap banner.
I wanted it to last longer than one month or one holiday though so I decided to make it reversible!
Since Valentine's Day is fast approaching I thought that would be perfect to have on the first side. 
I love having pieces that are versatile and can be left up for a while, so I thought bunnies on the other side would be perfect so it can be up for Easter but also all of Spring. 
I've got step-by-step instructions and pictures for you, and I've also got a video at the very end of this post if you want to see it all come together that way.
To start out I cut 3 rectangular pieces from my burlap.
Each rectangle measured 5" across and 11" long.
I then folded the rectangle into fourths, first in half to make a square, and then in half sideways.
 I cut a diagonal line from about an inch up down to the corner of the burlap.
Place the template on the burlap (make sure to put something underneath so the paint doesn't leak through!)
This is the paint I already had on hand and I liked the idea of the burlap with white, I felt it looked cleaner.
I had a small foam paintbrush that was missing the handle so I folded it in half, poured out a little paint,
 and started dabbing it on.
Make sure you hold the template down with the other hand so it doesn't move around and you end up with nice clean lines.
 Then remove the template.
 Turn the pennant around and place the template down for the other side.
(I just hand drew these templates myself, I will attach a free printable template at the bottom of this post, but I haven't been able to get it uploaded yet).
 Use the same dabbing method.
 Let paint dry completely.
 Once paint has dried grab the string you want to use.
I found this jute cord at Walmart for $1.97.
I liked that it matched the color of the burlap.
I flipped the burlap over so the painted part was facing down.
I left about 9" of the cord on one side and laid it across the middle of the burlap. 
 Using a hot glue gun I glued the cord in place.
 I then folded the burlap over and glued all around the edges.
This will also keep the edges from fraying.
 All done!
I left a 4" gap between the three pennants.
As you can see I did the two outside hearts with the cutout in the middle, and the middle heart completely painted in.
I also tied a small loop at the ends of the banner and added a dab of glue to make sure they don't come undone and to make it easier to hang up.
If you aren't feeling too crafty you can head over to my Etsy shop and purchase this exact banner there! For the direct link click here.

Check the out the video below!

1 comment:

  1. Share great information about your blog , That’s what I was looking for. I am talking about all topics bundled in this blog. Blog really helpful for me. Thanks for share your blog here.

    End of lease cleaning
    carpet steam cleaning Sydney

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...