Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Preparing for my Hospital stay

Pin It
I'm one of those people who like to know what's coming.
Mostly because I like to be able to think something through a little bit so I can have a rough plan in my head of how I would handle the situation.
I don't need to always be in-control or have everything figured out, but it's nice to have an idea of what I would like to happen...if that makes sense.
Even though I still have a few weeks until my little guy makes his arrival I've already been keeping a list of the things I want to make sure I grab when we end up heading to the hospital.
I am not going to schedule an induction, I'm planning on just letting my body do it's thing and let me know when our little guy is ready to make his appearance.
The hard thing though, is I obviously have no idea what day, or even time of the day I need to be ready to go.

With my first child, I wasn't really expecting him to come 3 weeks early.
But he did.
I woke up in the morning and went to the bathroom.
I knew something was different.
I woke up my husband and told him that I thought the baby was coming.
I thought my water was leaking, which at the time I didn't even know if that could really happen. (FYI, It can happen).
Neither of us were really 100% sure, so I just changed and we grabbed a couple of things (thankfully we grabbed the camera!) and we headed to the hospital, which was about 25 minutes away.
When we got out of the car my water fully broke and I knew it had been a good idea to go.
Needless to say I didn't really have everything I wanted/needed for my hospital stay.
Thankfully our baby came pretty quickly, after just 6 hours, so I didn't need a lot at that point.
After we got to enjoy our new bundle for a while my husband made a trip back home for me to grab a couple of things.

With my second child I had a feeling it was going to go down pretty similar.
I had a day in my head that I kept thinking about and was pretty sure he was going to come on.
Since I knew my little guy could come early I had my husband install the car seat, and I grabbed a small duffle-type bag when it was closer to the date. I put some stuff in the bag for the baby, but I didn't really put anything in it for myself because I would still be using most of it.
Well, my water broke in the evening (of the day before I thought he would be coming) just as I was tucking our oldest into bed.
I cleaned up a little bit and grabbed a few things for my bag that I knew I wanted this time around.
I had only made a mental list of what I had wanted to grab though, and when you're in that moment of sheer excitement/craziness, you aren't going to remember everything...just so you know.

This time around, I again have a day in my mind when I think this little guy will make his appearance, so I am starting to get ready.
This time I also have a smart phone with an app to make lists, yipee!
I started the list a week or so ago, and I'm kind of adding to it as I go.
As I said before, a lot of the things on my list I will be using up until the day of, but it will be good to get some stuff packed and then have the list on my phone to quickly check off.

So far I have a smaller carry-on type black bag that is next to my nightstand with a few items in it.
I've got:
 a Newborn size long-sleeved onsie or body suit (I love these ones because they have a little piece of fabric at the end of the sleeve to fold up over the baby's hands
a little hat to keep his head warm
thick socks for those tiny feet
a pair of newborn size pants
a blanket to tuck in around him when he goes in his car seat
nursing pads
sports bra (you want it a little bit bigger than your current size)
Now onto the things that will be thrown in before we head to the hospital
- toothbrush
- toothpaste
- hairbrush
- make-up bag
- hair dryer
- shampoo/conditioner
- straightener
- phone charger
- laptop and charger
- face soap and lotion
- socks
- outfit for me to leave in (something on the comfy side obviously!)

I will also have my purse with me which holds things like my chapstick, phone, insurance cards, ID, etc.
I think that about sums it all up!
Would you add anything to the list? 

10 comments:

  1. Such a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing your Thursday favorite thing with us at Thursday Favorite Things Blog hop! ~Rina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh congratulations! I found that I could grab an extra brush, toothpaste, toothbrush, mascara...and such and just have it in the bag. It made my list a lot shorter once I just spent the $10 at target to throw in my bag. So excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad idea, I think I might check out the travel size section of stuff...thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. Baby nail clippers or a file. Those tiny fingernails are so long when they arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your new addition! Thanks for sharing on the #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you've got it covered! And if you need anything else you can call me because I am ALL for a visit to see this little guy and to see you. Can't wait to meet him. I already adore him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Headphones! Thanks for joining the tips and tricks link up party!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...