Search This Blog

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Kid approved activities :)

Pin It
Hello all :)
We have been out and enjoying some sunshine in our neck of the woods.

We haven't been up to much crafting, but we have been coming up with many new games and activities for my little guy.
I thought I would take a moment to share them with you!

1. UNO adding
My husband and I have been talking about incorporating more math type games for our son.
When I saw this idea on Pinterest from E is for explore I knew I had to try it out.
My son loves this game!
You just need to pick out cards that will add up to a certain number.
We've done 10 and 5.

Numbers adding up to 10.
Matches include 6 and 4, 5 and 5, 7 and 3, 8 and 2, 9 and 1.
I showed all the 'matches' to my son before we started so he would know what to add up, and then flipped them all over.
Once you find two cards that add up to the answer you take them out and go again.


 Numbers adding up to 5.
3 and 2, 4 and 1, 5 and 0.
2. Sidewalk chalk game

First of all, I am so in love with the warmer winter here. It's only in the 60's, but compared to what our family and friends are experiencing back in Utah (freezing), it's warm enough!
For this activity I just drew 3 shapes, a square, a triangle, and a circle, each in a different color, and staggered the shapes a little so they weren't all in a row.
The point of the game is to jump down the sidewalk using only the triangles, or only the circles or squares.
Here is my little guy demonstrating for us :)
 It was fun to see him come up with his own 'paths' and variations on the game.

3. Lego 'board game'
I saw this idea on Pinterest a long time ago, but when I clicked on the picture it didn't have a link for a website or blog or anything, so I don't know who to give the credit to, but thanks!
I decided to just draw up this game on just a regular piece of paper.
(Now that I know how much my son loves it, I might have to type it up, print it out, and laminate it so it lasts longer).
The game is simple, you each have a lego man, and roll the dice. 
Move the amount of spaces.
If you land on a space that says add a lego, you pick out the amount of pieces it says, and build a 'tower' straight up. If it tells you to take away pieces, you take them away.
The person with the tallest tower at the end wins.
 On the left you can see our 'towers'

12 comments:

  1. Great ideas! We've been using Trouble (with the pop-o-matic) and dominoes for Math.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We've only used Dominoes to lineip and knock down :)

      Delete
  2. I'm at home with my four year old all day and I'm always looking for ways to entertain him in an educational way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome :) It takes some effort and imagination to keep them learning and entertained!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Follower! Found you through the I Love My Post Linkup! When you have time, come visit at kjaggers.com and if you like what you see.. follow back! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great ideas! I'm totally going to incorporate some these into my lesson plans!

    I nominated you for a Liebster award! If you'd like to participate, you can check it out here http://www.goodgirlgonewife.com/2013/01/liebster-blog-award-take-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pinning this for as my girls get older for some really great ideas. As a former math teacher, love it. Visiting from Raising Imperfection Link-up!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a clever idea!!! I love using Uno cards.
    Pinning this for later for sure!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection!
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)
    Good luck!

    xoxo
    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these ideas are great, I especially love the Lego game!

    Thanks for sharing your favorite post at Raising Imperfection! We feature our favorites on Friday, make sure to come back and check.
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the uno idea! My son is just learning uno and I"m loving playing it with him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michelle I just found you through Sew Many Ways Find A Friend Friday. I love your kid approved ideas, especially the Lego game! In fact I've already pinned it on Pinterest for the future when I have my own Lego loving kids! I'd love if you came and checked out my blog, www.clearwatercottage.blogspot.com Have a great weekend!!! :) ~Loni

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...