Search This Blog

Saturday, October 6, 2012

DIY Iron Man costume

Pin It
Halloween is on it's way!
Yay!  I love Holidays!  From now until January is my favorite time of the year!
I know, I need to get around to decorating the house, but first we needed to make a costume.
I wanted to give myself plenty of time to make this, in case it didn't work.
My son decided he wanted to be Iron Man this year, thus furthering his super hero obsession...
I decided this was a task we could conquer, and I think we succeeded!
I started with a cardboard box and let my imagination run wild ;)
Total cost for me to make this costume so far...$0, gotta love that!!
I first cut out the 'chest plate' and the part to cover his stomach.
 For my son's birthday he got this Iron Man chest reactor thingy, so I cut out a hole for it to fit in the chest plate.
  I added stretchy elastic at the neck, and cardboard sides to it to give it a more box-y effect.  (You understand what I'm saying, right?)
I then made covers for his legs.  Not pictured:  I put string through the back of the leg covers, and also put some more cardboard to cover his knees,
 and then we painted it.  We had to do 2 coats of paint.
My son also got the Iron Man mask for a birthday present, that's where the whole idea came from in the first place.  If I didn't have this mask I would have just made one from of my previous post on Avengers masks.  I also made arm covers and put elastic through them, (oh, did you notice the knees?).  He was so excited to try it on! 
Next I painted on black lines to give it more detail, threw on a red shirt underneath, and yellow shorts, because according to my son Iron Man is red AND yellow.  I might put him in red pants though...we shall see when the big night comes :)
 My next task is to find those thin cheap winter gloves (in red), and put one white circle in the palm of each hand for the hand blasters.
Stay tuned!!

Update:
I found the gloves!
Click the link below to check out how I finished everything
DIY Iron Man costume: Part 2


This post was featured at:

A++

17 comments:

  1. that is amazing! would you like to follow each other in gfc? let me know! http://xxxloveisbeautyxxx.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is standing next to me begging me to 'buy that.' I told him you made it. Now he's begging me to make it, lol.

    It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, you are amazing (I say that a lot, don't I?) When I saw the pic on the text I thought you guys had bought the costume. That is incredible! It's so amazing to me how you can make your little ones dreams come true with your imagination. You are so creative and resourceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, your comment made my day. It just makes me so happy to see his smiling face, I would do anything to make him happy!

      Delete
  4. My boys would love this!! I am a new follower! Would love for you to visit me and join my site as well!

    riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Amazing job. We're thinking we're going dress up my daughter as a 80's rock star! I can't wait to share!
    Thanks for the follow. Following you back now!

    14sixty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! I'm saving your little tutorial. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome costume! Very creative. He looks so excited to wear it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so clever! Thanks for sharing it at For the Kids Fridays! I'm featuring it in the next party. Don't miss our Homemade Halloween Costume Parade! I'd love to have you share this post there as well... http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2012/09/2012-homemade-costume-parade.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. So creative! I love how it turned out, you did a fantastic job!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Artsy Corner. Hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great costume! Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Showcase. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is simply awesome...my son wants an Iron man costume too, this year...I should have seen this post before..but I'm glad that I found you on Mixer...I'm your newest follower now..hope you can visit @ http://homekidsandcrafts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicely done Michelle! Good costume for just a few dollars.
    Have you ever seen this? https://bitlylink.com/DIY_IronMan
    Maybe not for your little one. But I'm guessing the bigger kid will want to build this one.
    Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...